Inflammation today is usually linked to chronic illness, many of which are life-style related. It really is so ironic that so many people are living longer and longer lives — but, are their lives of quality and optimum health? Now, more than ever, there is no getting around this pandemic that also leads many to more bouts of depression, anxiety and well….not so good choices when it comes to food.
Listed here are 15 Anti-Inflammatory Foods that are highly recommended and with good reason….
- Almonds: A terrific source of monounsaturated fats, vitamin E and manganese. What does that mean for you? A lower risk of cardiovascular disease and certainly an improvement in your cholesterol levels too.
- Avocados: A stand-out fruit that is high in monounsaturated fats, fiber (so its filling too) and also high in magnesium and potassium – two very important minerals that keep our bodies in tip-top shape.
- Broccoli: This cruciferous vegetable is high in all sorts of minerals and vitamins as well as amazing antioxidants. By eating more of the vegetables within the Cruciferous family, it is likely that even certain Cancers can be prevented.
- Blueberries: These berries contain a large amount of polyphenols that actually trigger the assistance of antioxidants, which help in the fight against cancer and cardiovascular disease.
- Carrots: Not only are carrots low in calories, but they also contain fiber which aids in the process of feeling full and prevents binge eating. Carrots are full of beta-carotenes which our bodies convert into Vitamin A – essential for our body to function properly. What does Vitamin A do? It plays a large part in keeping our immune system functioning well, important for proper vision and also aids in reproduction.
- Dry beans: Beans are an amazing food with lots of fiber, B vitamins (which make sure our body’s cells are functioning properly) and protein too. Beans are a terrific substitute for meat — so vegetarians, live long and prosper!
- Kale: Kale is a great source of vitamins and minerals and a good amount of fiber too. Kale also contains antioxidants that aid in the prevention of diseases.
- Olive Oil: There is no doubt that olive oil is a key ingredient in the Mediterranean Diet and with good reason. Olive oil contains a great deal of monounsaturated fats, and polyphenols that work in aiding the body to function properly.
- Oranges: This fruit has a load of Vitamin C, which as you might imagine leads to strong immune function. It also contains a good amount of fiber and folate which assist in overall heart health.
- Salmon: This hearty fish contains a ton of omega-3 fatty acids which plays an essential role in reducing inflammation and protecting the heart.
- Spinach: This veggie is a powerhouse food that contains lutein, iron, Vitamin K (important for blood clotting) and so much more! No need to re-state, but I will, spinach is low calorie and ideal for weight loss.
- Strawberries: Not only is this fruit super delicious, but it is full of nutrients and fiber that will leave you feeling full and satisfied. The deep red color indicates the amount of antioxidants that is correlated with lower inflammation as well.
- Sweet Potatoes: These potatoes are delicious and again, contain lots of fiber and important minerals and vitamins and lower in calories than other potatoes.
- Swiss Chard: This leafy green vegetable is chock full of important vitamins and minerals, flavonoids that work as antioxidants which in turn assists with reducing inflammation.
- Walnuts: Of the nut family, walnuts are truly wonderful as they contain Vitamin E (which serves as an antioxidant and cell protector), protein and fiber. Not only that, but walnuts contain monounsaturated fats and omega-3 fatty acids which assist the body and protect the heart.
There are so many reasons to add these 15 foods to one’s diet and to keep inflammation at a minimum. After all, one’s health can’t be overstated, right? Bon appetit!