How can you accelerate your metabolism, especially now with the holidays underway…really? It can be done — and what better example can you be to your kids, family and friends to not overindulge and enjoy the following foods and maybe even skip some of the holiday treats that we are starting to see like, eggnog, cookies and other fattening treats…
1) Grapefruit – The most important active ingredient in grapefruit that helps us to lose weight is naringin, a flavonoid compound that gives grapefruit its characteristic bitter flavor and blocks the uptake of fatty acids into cells to prevent our bodies from effectively using carbohydrates.
2) Green Tea – Green tea has been known to enhance fat oxidation and increase the body’s metabolic rate. Green tea may also help to increase energy and speed up your body’s natural metabolic process.
3) Low-fat Yogurt– Yogurt is a good source of calcium, phosphorus, vitamin b-12 and iodine. Yogurt is also known for encouraging weight loss and improving overall immunity.
4) Almonds – Almond nuts are rich in dietary fiber, vitamins, and minerals and packed with numerous healths promoting phyto-chemicals (chemical compounds that naturally are found in plants); This kind of well balanced food offers protection against diseases and cancers and also assists in a quicker metabolism.
5) Turkey– Turkey is low in fat and high in protein. It also is high in B vitamins and low in saturated fat!
6) Apples have no fat, cholesterol or sodium, and contain small amounts of potassium, which may promote heart health, help maintain healthy blood pressure and a healthy weight.
7) Spinach contains a large amount of antioxidants as Vitamins A, C, E, K, B1, B6, and minerals like potassium and zinc. It has been found that certain vegetables assist in speeding up metabolism.
9) Peppers help your body in actually burning calories as your metabolism gets faster. Capsaisin assists in speeding up the metabolism. Typically, spicy food is more satiating than bland food, meaning you don’t need to eat a whole lot to feel full. The heat of the chili assists in stimulating brain chemicals that signal fullness!